SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Cost: $10 and Up
Skill Level: Beginner
Tools List for Beginning Plumbers:
Water Pump Pliers
Adjustable Open End Wrench
1. Richard recommends labeling the main water shut off valve to make it easy to locate in an emergency.
2. Water pump pliers are a good multi-purpose plumbing tool. Richard recommends selecting a pair that opens wide enough.
3. An adjustable open end wrench allows for tightening and loosening without leaving behind marks.
4. A basin wrench allows facuet nuts that are hard to access to be loosened and tightened.
5. A screwdriver with multiple tips allows one tool to be used for many applications.
6. A plunger is useful for clearing stopped toilets.
7. For more difficult clogs, a closet auger can be used in toilets.
8. A plumbing snake can clear clogged drain pipes.
9. Identify a local plumber that can be called in an emergency.
All of the tools and material used can be found at a home center or plumbing supply store.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
Plumbing Tool Essentials for Beginners | Ask This Old House