SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse
Shopping List for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
– Reclaimed food-rated barrel
– Boiler shutoff valve
– Thread-sealing tape
– Rain diverter, hose, and tap
Tools for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
– Power drill
– 1-inch hole-saw bit
Steps for How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40:
1. Drill a 1-inch hole at the bottom of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
2. Wrap thread-sealing tape several times around the boiler shut-off valve threads and screw it into the hole.
3. Drill a 1-inch hole into the cap of the barrel using a power drill and a 1-inch hole-saw bit.
4. Attach tap to hole in the cap of the barrel.
5. Cut downspout using a hack saw into two pieces.
6. Attach diverter to downspout using a power drill and screws.
7. Connect hose to diverter and tap in cap of barrel.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
For more on This Old House and Ask This Old House, visit us at: http://bit.ly/ThisOldHouseWebsite
How to Build a Rain Barrel for $40 | Ask This Old House